Cadnam Home
About Us
What We Do
Youth
In The Community
Weekly Notices
Contact Us
Useful Links
Women's Fellowship



 
 

Cadnam Methodist Church is part of the Romsey Methodist Circuit. Our circuit is made up of seven churches, and served by a Superintendent Minister, a Supernumerary Minister, two Lay Workers, and a Youth Worker, also by a group of local preachers and worship leaders who preach and lead our worship.

We have ecumenical links with St Maryís Copythorne & friendship with Winsor Mission Church.

Our Mission Statement

"To proclaim the Gospel and to help people deepen their commitment to Jesus Christ, and develop their gifts in the power of the Holy Spirit to the glory of God."

A Brief History of Cadnam Methodist Church

The present fellowship started as a Primitive Methodist Society, part of the Sway Circuit, in 1863. (probably March as we always have celebrated Chapel/Church anniversary in that month) The Superintendent minister at the time was Rev. John Wright.

They met in a small building, possibly wooden, which stood on the site of "Roselands" at the rear of the present Cadnam Police house. A more permanent building was built on land purchased in August 1865 and the old site and building were sold as a dwelling.

The 1865 chapel was built on land on the western boundary of the present police house, and was formerly a piece of unfenced wasteland, part of the New Forest.

This was our home for the next one hundred years, until increased traffic using the popular A31 holiday route to the South Coast, became a distraction. Then we explored other venues. In 1965 we relocated to our present building; this was formerly the Congregational Church.

The church has undergone some extensive refurbishment in recent times.

For some years the old chapel by the roundabout was retained and used as a hall.

On Saturday 11th March 1978, our present church hall was opened. This replaced the original schoolroom at the rear of the main building. The old chapel was then sold and two houses were built on the site, one of which is called "Chapel House".

History of the present building

In about 1800, itinerant preachers from Romsey Independent Church opened a preaching station in a cottage at Winsor, but persecution closed this meeting place.

At Cadnam "a good woman named Stephenson" opened her house to the Wesleyans {A discipline of Methodism} who continued to preach there until the place was too small for the members. An offer of a piece of ground at the back of her house was made (our present site), for the purpose of building a church. A small building was erected in 1804 and was used for some years for worship. Eventually the building was sold back to Mrs. Stephenson who repainted it, and reopened the chapel for worship with the help of a Mr. James Newman, a layman from Romsey, who read the Liturgy of the Church of England until 1834.

In 1834, Rev. William Bathurst Woodman bought the chapel, as he was anxious to restore non-conformist services in the village. With the help of Rev. John Reynolds of Romsey, "vested it in trust in Chancery in the usual manner for the use of a Congregation of Protestant Non-conformists of the Independent Denomination".

The Congregationalists at about this time constructed the present main church building. The Cadnam Congregationalists used the chapel until itís closure in June 1964.

How to find us

We can be found behind The White Hart  Restaurant just off the A337 Romsey Road, Cadnam on the Old Romsey Road the 3rd building on the right. Post code SO40 2NP

(multimap.co.uk)

 
 
 
Copyright 2014 Cadnam Methodist Church. All rights reserved